Saturday, February 13, 2021

Salad Dressing

I don't like vinegar. So, most salad dressings are not for me. In the past, I either ate my salad 'dry' or with just a squeeze of lemon. I found the secret to a great dressing and one that I like. I don't remember where, but I learned that a vinaigrette does not need to contain vinegar as the acid. A citrus juice can be the acid and this opened up a whole new world to me. The basic recipe is:

Equal parts fresh squeezed citrus juice and EVOO
Some honey if needed (usually only when using lemon)
Finely chopped shallot
Chopped fresh herb
Salt and pepper

My favorite is:
1/2 cup EVOO
1/2 cup lemon juice
about 1 tbsp honey
small fresh shallot finely diced (about 2-3 tbsp)
about 1 tbsp of either chopped dill or basil
Salt and pepper to taste. 
Shake well to blend. 

Options:
Put the diced shallot in the lemon juice for 3-5 minutes before adding EVOO

Optional ingredients I've tried:
Blood Oranges + Basil

One more. This one I found here. Instead of the fresh shallot and herb, substitute:
1 teaspoon dried oregano heaping
1 teaspoon powdered garlic
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder



No comments:

Post a Comment