Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Cajun Fried Potatoes and Sausage

This would have been a Cajun dish if I found Andouille sausage. As it happened, the best I could find was a smoked beef sausage from Eckrich. I also approximately halved the recipe for tonight. I found this recipe here.

6 potatoes, peeled and sliced (red potatoes)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt (used regular Kosher salt)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 onion, chopped (yellow medium onion)

Place sliced potatoes in a large bowl of cold water and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Drain, rinse and replace water and allow to sit for an additional 10 minutes; drain and blot dry with paper towels.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage to skillet and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add potatoes, peppers, seasoning salt and pepper. Cover, lower heat to medium, and continue to cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add onion and cook mixture until ingredients are tender, about 3 more minutes.

Comments:
I sliced the potatoes about 1/4 inch. A little thinner would have been a little better.
I used my cast iron skillet. Easy clean up.
The meal tasted great and is a keeper recipe. I ate mine with Bell's Amber Ale. Yummm...

UPDATE:
I used chorizo from Garden Fresh Market to make this on 9/18. Better all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment